Mylio’s cache is designed as a temporary holding area in case Device Sync Settings are adjusted accidentally, or photos are temporarily stored on that device to be moved elsewhere.
Photos that are cached are designated with a green squiggly line within the Sync panel. This shows that a device has a photo but does not want it. The Sync Panel can be turned on from a device’s Advanced Sync Policy Settings.
Sometimes, Mylio’s cache is automatically populated, like in these circumstances:
- Sync on Demand has synced a higher resolution photo to this device temporarily.
- You have downgraded the Sync Policy for a device or for a specific folder.
When your device becomes full, Mylio references your Minimum free space allotment to know when to send items in your cache to your computer’s trash can. By default, Mylio will choose to preserve between 1 and 10GB of space depending on your drive size. This number can be adjusted.
Cached files on a Vault: A Vault is designed to hold all Thumbnail, Preview, and Original versions of your files. With this in mind, cached files do not exist with Vaults
Cached files on auto-optimized devices: These devices will be automatically managed based on the locally available storage. There will not be a way to manually remove the cache. If your device is running low on storage, you can adjust Mylio’s Minimum free space setting.
To empty the Cache in Mylio:
- Open the Dashboard.
- Select the device you wish to clear the cache on from the Dashboard’s Devices panel.
Note: You cannot empty the cache of a different device, only the device you are currently using.
- Select Clear Cache in the Device Settings window. If the Clear Cache button is not shown, then that devices’ Sync Policy may not allow for clearing the Cache manually or there is no cache to clear.
- Mylio will alert you to what items will be cleared.
- Once cleared, your cache will be sent to the operating system’s trash can / recycle bin as a safety measure.
If an original image is only stored on the device that you are clearing the cache of, the original image will not be removed. The original image must be stored on more than one device in order for it to be cleared from the cache.