What Are Folders?
Folders are one of the primary means of organization in Mylio. Folders allow you to directly manipulate your files inside and outside of Mylio so that the changes you make are not Mylio specific. Depending on your setup your Folder view may vary in its organization.
Mylio Pictures Folder
Each Mylio Library, by default, comes with one folder: the Mylio Pictures folder. This folder is designed to hold the images that are copied into Mylio if there is no other destination specified during the import process. For instance, photos that you have imported using the Copy command will be copied into the Mylio Pictures folder. This is because Mylio is now referencing an original file exclusive to Mylio. Mylio Pictures is where most photos will be stored if you are using Mylio as a standalone photo organization application.
Creating New Folders
New folders can be created anytime from Folder view in the View Selector.
- In Folder view, navigate to where you would like to place your new folder.
- Select the plus sign in the Quick Actions Bar and give the new folder a name.
- Photos can now be dragged into this folder freely or by using Mylio Clipboard.
- Remember that any changes made to your files will be reflected by the operating system.
Any top-level folder (click Folders twice from the navigation bar along the top to get to the top-level of Folder view) in Mylio is considered a Source Folder. This means that a Source Folder will live next to the Mylio Pictures folder in the Mylio application. Source folders can live elsewhere, outside of the Mylio library folder, on your computer too. These folders can be added via Mylio’s Source Folder settings or during the setup wizard. See our Importing with Source Folders for more information.
Syncing Source Folders from Another Computer
Mylio is in charge of protecting the photos that have been added to Source Folders from one machine to all Vaults on your account. Because of this, source folders from other devices are stored in the Mylio library folder.
- Computer A has 2 source folders that Mylio is referencing, one called “Desktop” and the other being the Default Mylio Pictures folder.
- Computer B is a Vault and wants to protect those images, so Originals are syncing to it.
- Computer A has the photos in the original location in the Desktop folder and the Mylio Pictures folder will be in the Mylio library folder unless is has been moved from its default location.
- Computer B will sync the Desktop source folder into its Mylio library folder next to Mylio Pictures.
Because Mylio is directly related to the file system, it is easy to see exactly where your photos live on your computer. By right-clicking on any folder and selecting Show in Finder or Show in File Explorer you will be taken to the selected folder’s location on your computer.
The Mylio Pictures folder will be saved within the Mylio library folder, which can be stored in a unique location when starting Mylio for the first time, or moved later by simply moving the Mylio library folder from its original location to a new location (the next time Mylio is launched it will ask you to identify the new location of your directory). Other Source Folders may exist in different locations outside of the Mylio library folder