What Are Folders?
Folders are one of the primary means of organization in Mylio. Folders allow you to directly manipulate your files inside and outside of Mylio so that the changes you make are not Mylio specific. Depending on your setup your Folder view may vary in its organization.
Mylio Pictures Folder
Each Mylio Library comes with one folder: the Mylio Pictures folder. This folder is designed to hold all of the images that are copied into Mylio if there is no other destination being utilized. For instance, photos that you have imported using the Copy command will be copied into the Mylio Pictures folder. This is because Mylio is now referencing an original file exclusive to Mylio.
The Mylio Pictures folder will also hold your iOS Camera Roll(s) and Android Media Library photos.
Mylio Pictures is where most photos will be stored if you are using Mylio as a standalone photo organization application.
Creating New Folders
New folders can be created anytime from Folder view in the View Selector.
- In Folder view, navigate to where you would like to place your new folder.
- Select the plus sign in the Quick Actions Bar and give the new folder a name.
- Photos can now be dragged into this folder freely or by using Mylio Clipboard.
- Remember that any changes made to your files will be reflected by the operating system.
When photos live outside of Mylio Pictures, it means that are being referenced from another location. This means that a Source Folder will live outside, but next to, the Mylio Pictures folder. This makes it easy to see when you are manipulating original images that are not Mylio exclusive. Be careful with these folders as any changes made to them will be made to the original files as well.
Syncing Source Folders from Another Computer
Mylio is in charge of protecting your photos that have been added to Source Folders on one machine and had their Originals synced to another Vault. Because of this, Original photos are stored in the Mylio folder on your secondary device.
- Computer A has images in a source folder that Mylio is referencing.
- Computer B is a Vault and wants to protect those images, so Originals are syncing.
- Computer A has the photos in the original location.
- Computer B has the photos in the Mylio root folder.
Because Mylio is directly related to the file system, it is easy to see exactly where your photos live on your computer. By right-clicking on any folder and selecting Show in Finder or Show in File Explorer you will be taken to the selected folder’s location on your computer.
The Mylio Pictures folder will be saved within the Mylio Library, which can be stored in a unique location when starting Mylio for the first time, or moved later by simply moving the Mylio root directory from its original location to a new location (the next time Mylio is launched it will ask you to identify the new location of your directory).