With Mylio version 3.15 and later there is a more complete method for importing your Google Photos. This method asks you to go to takeout.google.com to download a .zip file (or files) of your images. This article is a complete guide taking you step-by-step through this process.
Using Google Takeout to Download your photos
- Open a web browser and go to takeout.google.com.
- Google Takeout is a tool to download more than just photos so for the sake of this process we need to use the “Deselect all” option near the top and then scroll down to the Google Photos section.
- Check the box in the Google Photos section. You can also use this section to specify if you want any Albums excluded. Photos must be in an album to exclude them from the export. Any photos that are not in an album will still be exported.
- Scroll to the bottom and select “Next step”.
- Select “Send download link via email” as the delivery method.
- Select “.zip” and the size limit for your download under the “Filetype and size” section. Depending on your internet service, smaller download sizes may be best but would result in more individual .zip files being created.
- Finally, select “Create export” to finalize your selection.
- When the files are ready, Google will email you a link to download them. Once downloaded, you can proceed into Mylio and start importing (see the next tab).
Import Google Takeout. .Zip files
- Once you have your .zip files downloaded, open Mylio and select the Import button in the top-right.
- Select “Add media from an online service” and then “Google Photos library”
- The next screen will explain the process to download your photos from Google Takeout. Once your Takeout photos are downloaded as a .zip file, continue to the next page.
- Use the next screen to select the folder that contains the .zip files download from Google. We recommend creating an empty folder and placing all .zip files in there to avoid extra files in your downloads folder from being imported. Mylio will check the folder and show you a short summary of the proposed import. Confirm by selecting “Begin Import” and selecting (or creating) a folder in Mylio to import your images to.
- After the import completes, your Albums from Google Photos will be shown in Mylio’s Album view and all photos will be organized by year inside the destination folder that you selected in Mylio’s Folder view.
Files not found
If you select a folder that does not contain Google Takeout .zip files then you will receive the message shown below. This commonly happens when the incorrect folder is selected or the .zip files have been unzipped by your filesystem and now appear as separate folders in macOS Finder or Windows Explorer.
If this happens the folder containing the original .zip files needs to be located using the “Choose Again” option. If you unzipped the Google Takeout files then you may need to compress them again using your filesystem.