Importing from an External Drive
To select the correct import option for your photos and import from your external drive, follow the steps below:
- Open Mylio and select the Import icon in the top right.
- Select “Add media accessible from this device”.
- Mylio will display a few import options:
Copy files from a folder I select
By selecting the Copy command, Mylio will allow you to select a folder that you wish to copy from the external drive to your Mylio library folder. Select a folder on your external drive that you want to import and a destination folder in your Mylio library. You can use the three dots to the right of each field to select or change your selection. The copied folders will also remain in the original location on the external drive. If you want, you can toggle on the option to exclude duplicates and delete the original files from the drive when the import is completed.
The copy option is valuable in many situations. A popular use for this option would be to copy a specific folder of images off of a drive that you may be borrowing from a friend or relative. This option could also be used when first populating your Mylio Library if you are trying to consolidate your media from many different external drives to one internal drive.
Move files into Mylio
This option will take the files from a folder on your external drive and place the files into the Mylio library folder. Select a folder on your external drive that you want to import and a destination folder in your Mylio library. You can use the three dots to the right of each field to select or change your selection. The files will no longer exist in their original location on the drive. If you want, you can toggle on the option to exclude duplicates and delete the original folder from the drive when the import is completed.
A popular use for this option would be to move a specific folder of images off of a drive that you may not have enough space to duplicate.
Link files from a folder I select
This option is a valuable way of importing your photos into Mylio and ensuring that other photos added to that folder later on will automatically be added to Mylio moving forward. When importing with this method, we are adding the selected contents of the drive to Mylio and also adding the drive as a device on your account (if it isn’t already).
Adding a drive means that Mylio will create a 1:1 copy of your Mylio Library on the external drive, as a Vault. Any photos added to Mylio that are not on the drive will be protected to the drive automatically. Since Mylio is keeping a 1:1 copy of your images, this means that deleting a file on the external drive will also delete it in Mylio and vice versa.
Let’s look more closely at the linking files option:
- Go to Mylio’s Dashboard view and select your External drive. If the drive is not added as a device yet, select the “Add+” button in the Devices section. For more information on adding your external drive as a device in Mylio, click here.
- In the next panel, select the “Linked Folders” option and select the “Add+” button in the Linked Folders panel.
- Select the folder(s) that you would like to import into Mylio. These folders will remain in their location(s) on your external drive as originals and fulfill Mylio’s default device Sync Policy on your internal drive.
- Once the import has completed, Mylio will display the folders as top-level folders in your library (click “Folders” in the navigation bar twice to get to the top-level). Linked folders are sectioned at the top-level to indicate which device on your account they came from.
- Any photos not currently on that drive will be protected to it automatically. Photos in a Linked Folder from that drive will be synced in a folder called “Mylio_xxxxxx” where “xxxxxx” is a unique identifier. The external drive also has all of the benefits of a regular Vault, meaning it can be taken between your other machines to sync Originals.Warning: do not rename the Mylio_xxxxxxx folder as this is how Mylio identifies the device
Removing images from Mylio that are on External Drive or Removing External Drive as Mylio Device
If you wish to remove a folder from Mylio that has been previously imported, you can do so by toggling the folder off in the Source Folders settings. This will remove the folder from Mylio but keep it on the external drive. More information can be found here.
If you wish to remove the external drive as a Mylio device, you can do so by unregistering the device in the device list. This process will not delete photos from Mylio or photos from the Mylio_xxxxx folder on the external drive. However, it is important that at least one other device has Originals of the images on the external drive if you want to content to remain in Mylio.