Mylio can utilize external drives in multiple ways with your Mylio Library. This includes importing photos from your external drive to your machine, displaying the photos on your external drive without copying them to your machine or even protecting the photos you already have in Mylio to your external drive. Whatever the case, Mylio can be used to help keep your photos and videos altogether, protected and synced across all of your devices.
Understanding External Drive Importing
When importing photos from an external drive, Mylio will often set up the drive as a Vault. This allows Mylio to protect the photos not already on the drive to the drive without you needing to do anything manually. For instance, if you have all of your photos on an external drive and import them into Mylio, Mylio will display the content of that drive. If, however, you download a series of pictures from Facebook directly to your computer and import them into Mylio, Mylio will also protect those photos to your external drive when it is connected. The drive and your Mylio Library will be a 1:1 copy of each other.
Importing from an External Drive
To select the correct import option for your photos and import from your external drive, follow the steps below:
- Open Mylio and select the Import icon in the top right.
- Select External Drive.
- Select the drive you would like to import from and press Continue.
- Mylio will display two import options:
Add without moving
This option is a valuable way of importing your photos into Mylio and ensuring that other photos imported to Mylio are protected there. When importing with this method, we are adding the selected contents of the drive to Mylio and also adding the drive as a device on your account (if it isn’t already).
Adding a drive means that Mylio will create a 1:1 copy of your Mylio Library on the external drive, as a Vault. Any photos added to Mylio that are not on the drive will be protected to the drive automatically.
Since Mylio is keeping a 1:1 copy of your images, this means that deleting a file on the external drive will also delete it in Mylio and vice versa.
Let’s look more closely at the Add without moving option:
- Once you are given the option to Add without moving, select it.
- Select the folder(s) that you would like to import into Mylio. These folders will remain on your external drive as originals and fulfill Mylio’s default device Sync Policy on your internal drive.
- Select Choose to begin the import process.
- Once the import has completed, Mylio will display the folders as top-level folders in your library (click “Folders” in the navigation bar twice to get to the top-level).
- The external drive also now displays as a device in the Dashboard and will be set as a Vault. Any photos not currently on that drive will be protected there automatically. The photos not already on the drive will be synced in a folder called “Mylio_xxxxx” where “xxxxx” is a unique identifier. The external drive also has all of the benefits of a regular Vault, meaning it can be taken between your other machines to sync Originals.Warning: do not rename the Mylio_xxxxxx folder as this is how Mylio identifies the device
- Since your internal drive has a Sync Policy that is being fulfilled, versions of your photos (Thumbnails, Previews, or Originals) will be stored internally. This means you can view and edit your photos (Previews and Originals only) even when the drive is not attached.
Copy External Drive
By selecting the Copy External Drive command, Mylio will allow you to select a folder or folders that you wish to copy off of the external drive and to your internal drive. The copied folders will remain both on the external drive and on the internal drive and the external drive can be removed and not plugged in again to access the original images.
The Copy option is valuable in many situations. A popular use for this option would be to copy a specific folder of images off of a drive that you may be borrowing from a friend or relative. This option could also be used when first populating your Mylio Library if you are trying to consolidate your media from many different external drives to one internal drive.
Removing images from Mylio that are on External Drive or Removing External Drive as Mylio Device
If you wish to remove a folder from Mylio that has been previously imported, you can do so by toggling the folder off in the Source Folders settings. This will remove the folder from Mylio but keep it on the external drive. More information can be found here.
If you wish to remove the external drive as a Mylio device, you can do so by unregistering the device in the device list. This process will not delete photos from Mylio or photos from the Mylio_xxxxx folder on the external drive. However, it is important that at least one other device has Originals of the images on the external drive if you want to content to remain in Mylio.