Importing photos into Mylio using the Linked Folders option is a quick and easy way to display photos that are already organized on your computer in a view that is familiar but within the Mylio application.
Understanding Linked Folders
When choosing which folders to import as Linked Folders, Mylio will keep your photos in the original location – meaning they are not being moved. Because Mylio is referencing your folders and their contents in the original location, any change made in Mylio will be on your original files.
What does this mean?
- Deleting photos in Mylio will delete the actual files from the original location in your file system.
- Moving photos to another folder in Mylio will move the photo file in your file system.
Adding folders as Linked Folders is a great way to import into Mylio if you intend to keep your photos in the same location but use Mylio to track and manage them.
Importing with Linked Folders
To proceed with adding a folder as a Linked Folder, follow the steps below:
- Launch Mylio and open the Dashboard View and select Devices on the left.
- Select your computer from the list of devices.
- Scroll down on the next panel and select “Linked Folders”.
- Click “Add” in the top-right of the next panel.
- Mylio will open a new window that allows you to add folders from your computer to your Mylio Library.
- Any folder selected will be added to your Linked Folders panel. The added folders will be displayed within Mylio at the top-level of Folder view in a sectioned view showing what device they are linked from.
Removing folders as Linked Folders
To remove a folder as a Source Folder and stop tracking its changes, follow these steps:
- Open Mylio and view the Devices section of the Dashboard.
- Select your computer and scroll down to select Linked Folders.
- Mylio will display all of the folders that are part of your Mylio Library. To remove them, click on the folder name and select “remove from Mylio” on the next panel.
Safe File System Delete
Mylio’s Safe File System Delete option is designed to ensure your images remain safe on your devices when accidentally deleted from your file system. As of version 3.19, the Safe Delete option has been moved from the Settings panel to the Dashboard. Select the device you are using from the Devices section of the Dashboard and scroll to the bottom.
When Safe File System Delete is on, the following is true:
- If a file is deleted from the File System, it will not be removed from Mylio.
- If a file is deleted from the File System, the original file will not be deleted from other Vaults.
This is a global setting meaning that adjusting it for one device adjusts it for all devices on your account.