Importing photos into Mylio using the Source Folders option is a quick and easy way to display photos that are already organized on your machine in a view that is familiar but within the Mylio application.
Understanding Source Folders
When choosing which folders to import as Source Folders, Mylio will keep your photos in the original location – meaning they are not being duplicated or moved. Because Mylio is referencing your folders and their contents in the original location, any change made in Mylio will be on your original files.
What does this mean?
- Deleting photos in Mylio will delete the actual files from the original location in your file system.
- Moving photos out of the folder and into another folder will move the photo file in your file system.
Adding folders as Source Folders is a great way to import into Mylio if you intend to keep your photos in the same location but use Mylio to track and manage them.
Importing with Source Folders
To proceed with adding a folder as a Source Folder, follow the steps below:
- Launch Mylio and select open the View Menu (three vertical dots in the top-right)
- Select Settings
- Select Source Folders
- Mylio will open a new window that allows you to build your Mylio Library. By default, Mylio will display your machine’s Pictures and Movies folders, as well as the default Mylio Pictures folder.
- To add folders, simply select the Add More Folders button at the bottom of this panel and select the folders you would like Mylio to display.
- Any folder selected will be added to your Source Folders window and can be toggled on and off. The selected folders will be displayed within Mylio as top-level folders, next to the Mylio Pictures folder.
Removing folders as Source Folders
To remove a folder as a Source Folder and stop tracking its changes, follow these steps:
- Open Mylio and select Settings in the View menu.
- Select Source Folders.
- Mylio will display all of the folders that are part of your Mylio Library. To remove them, simply toggle the folder off.
- The folder will remain in the Source Folders settings to be easily toggled back on until you leave the settings window. Once you have left, the folder will no longer be listed.
Safe File System Delete
Mylio’s Safe File System Delete option is designed to ensure your images remain safe on your devices when accidentally deleted from your file system.
When Safe File System Delete is on, the following is true:
- If a file is deleted from the File System, it will not be removed from Mylio.
- If a file is deleted from the File System, the original file will not be deleted from other devices that hold all Originals.