Mylio’s relationship with NAS devices is not unlike that of a USB device, though it does not allow for the switching of host computers. This means that, when setting up a NAS, you are dictating that the device used to set up the NAS is the only device that will communicate with the NAS. Unlike traditional NAS communication, Mylio limits NAS communication in these ways:
- Only the device that is used to set up the NAS will communicate with the NAS.
- Devices that did not set up the NAS device cannot protect photos to the NAS.
- Devices that did not set up the NAS device cannot retrieve photos from the NAS.
Because of these limitations, NAS devices may show up as offline unexpectedly. Generally, this happens under these circumstances:
- A device other than that used to set up initial NAS communication is not being used.
- The device that was initially used to set up NAS communication is not online.
- The NAS has become unmounted and is not reachable by the device initially used to set up the NAS.
- The device, library, or Mylio instance used to initially set up NAS communication is no longer available (has been removed, or a new instance of Mylio has been created).
In most of these cases, the NAS can be relocated by simply ensuring the NAS is online and being contacted by the machine initially set up to communicate with the NAS. If your NAS host is online and still not able to communicate with the NAS, follow these steps:
- Ensure in Finder or File Explorer that you can access the NAS.
- Ensure the NAS has a Mylio_xxxxx folder on it, where the Xs are a unique identifier.
- Open Mylio and select the Dashboard at the top of the Navigation panel.
- Select the NAS from the Device list in the Dashboard to open the Device Settings.
- Scroll down in the Device Settings to see an option to allow you to point Mylio back to the Mylio_xxxx folder on the NAS.
Note: if you do not see the option to reconnect the NAS, this most likely was not the original device that was set up to communicate with the NAS.
In extreme cases, such as a fresh OS install or recreating your Mylio instance you may need to set the NAS up as a Mylio device again and allow Mylio to re-protect all photos by completely resyncing. In these cases, the NAS can be removed as a Mylio device so there are not two instances of the NAS in the sync panel.