Protecting your Original files to a NAS or USB Vault is an easy way to gain an extra level of protection in Mylio. With Mylio, adding a NAS or USB Vault allows for your full Mylio Library, including any new photos to automatically be protected to a drive when it is available.
If the drive is not available, Mylio will write all changes to the drive the next time that it becomes connected.
It is important to note that Mylio actively syncs your photos across all devices but does not keep a backup copy of your photos. Any photo deleted in the Mylio app on any device will be automatically deleted from your external device too.
Below are the steps to adding a new USB or NAS Vault:
Adding a USB device
Adding a new USB Vault is an easy way for Mylio to protect all of the photos, metadata, edits, albums, people, and location information in your Mylio Library to the USB device. USB Vaults can be taken between libraries to sync photos, too.
- Open Mylio.
- Plug the USB device into the computer if it is not already.
- Open Mylio’s Dashboard view.
- Select the “+Add” button at the top right of the Devices section.
- Select External Drive.
- All available USB devices will be listed in this menu.
- Select the USB device you would like to protect your Mylio Library on and choose Next.
- The USB device will be added as a Vault in the Dashboard and begin to sync all original files.
Protecting Photos to a NAS Device
First, let’s look at how Mylio interoperates with a NAS device:
- When working with a NAS and Mylio, Mylio will treat the NAS as a hosted device. This means that by adding a NAS, the computer you added the NAS from needs to be running for the NAS to sync with other devices.
- Mylio is not designed to add a NAS as a Source Folder. Source Folders should be used only on drives that are always physically attached to your computer. Since a NAS does not physically mount to your machine, you may experience unexpected issues if you add a NAS device in this way.
Adding a new NAS Vault is an easy way for Mylio to protect all of the photos, metadata, edits, albums, people and location information in your Mylio Library to the NAS device.
- Open Mylio on the computer that you wish to be the sole communicator with the NAS.
- Open Mylio’s Dashboard.
- Select the plus sign at the top right of the Devices section of Mylio’s Dashboard.
- Select NAS.
- Mylio will open a folder selection dialog. Locate the folder you would like Mylio to copy the library to.
Note: Mylio will not save to the top level of the NAS, it must write into a folder.
- The NAS device will be added as a Vault in the Dashboard and begin to sync all original files.