If you’re an iPhoto, Photos, or Aperture user and transitioning to Mylio, you may find that you do not have enough space on your internal drive to fully import your library. Since Mylio requires that you copy the images out of their current applications, this means you must have room to keep your entire photo library twice on your machine. If your computer does not meet these requirements, Mylio allows you to easily import directly to an external drive. Here is how:
- Open Mylio and sign in to your account. If you have more than 25,000 images in Photos, iPhoto, or Aperture you will need a Mylio Premium or Mylio Max plan, you can sign up for this from the account management page.
- Adjust your computer’s Sync Policy to not be a device that holds all Originals by selecting Auto-Optimized.
- Plug in the external drive that you want to store your original images on. You may want to format this drive for Mac, PC or both.
- Set up the external drive as a Mylio device that holds all Originals. This tells Mylio to use this external drive to store Original images.
- Import your Photos, iPhoto, or Aperture Library. Mylio will import the images directly to the external drive while displaying smaller, optimized sized files on your device’s internal storage.