What is Safe Delete on Vaults?
Mylio’s Safe Delete is an option available in the Source Folders settings to ensure your data remains safe. By default, it is turned on when setting up Mylio for the first time.
When Delete on Vaults is on, Mylio recognizes when images are added to or edited in a folder by the file system or another app outside of Mylio, but it doesn’t read or replicate deletions that happen outside of Mylio.
Here are some ways that safe delete works when it is on:
- Images deleted in the file system will not be removed from the Mylio catalog or other devices.
- If a device is set as a Vault, images deleted in the file system will be synced back from another device if the images are available somewhere else. If the image can not be synced back from another device then this creates a Lost Original.
- If a device is not set as a Vault (most likely using a Custom Sync Policy), images deleted in the file system will be marked in the catalog to be deleted on all of your other devices. A warning (see screenshot below) may appear detecting filesystem changes if “Show filesystem changes” is toggled on under Settings->General. This warning can allow you to decide to apply the changes (delete the files everywhere) or exit the warning telling Mylio to attempt to sync back the media from a Vault.
When Safe File System on Vaults is off, Mylio is designed to keep a 1:1 relationship with the Source Folders in your operating system. If a file is deleted in the Mylio application, it is also deleted in the folder in macOS Finder/Windows File Explorer. If a file is deleted in the folder in macOS Finder/Windows File Explorer, it is also deleted in Mylio. The action of deleting the media on one machine would then sync to all devices on the account where the media would be deleted from all machines.
Turning Safe Delete On or Off
Safe Delete on Vaults is a global setting, meaning that if it is turned off from one device it is turned off for all Vaults. It can toggled on and off by:
- Open Mylio and select Settings from the View menu.
- Select Source Folders
- Toggle on or off the Safe Delete on Vaults option.