What is Safe File System Delete?
Mylio’s Safe File System Delete is an option available in the Source Folders settings to ensure your data remains safe. By default, it is turned on when setting up Mylio for the first time.
When Safe File System Delete is on, Mylio recognizes when images are added to or edited in a folder by the file system or another app outside of Mylio, but it doesn’t read or replicate deletions that happen outside of Mylio.
Here are some ways that safe delete works:
- Images deleted in the File System will not be removed from the Mylio catalog or other devices.
- If a device is set as a Vault, images deleted in the File System will be synced back from another Vault if one is available.
- If a Custom Sync Policy is on, Mylio will respect the sync policy set for that folder.
- If the folder that the deletion occurs in is set to want Originals, the deleted media will be synced back
- If the folder that the deletion occurs in is not set to want Originals, the deleted media will not be synced back to that machine.
When Safe File System Delete is off, Mylio is designed to keep a 1:1 relationship with the Source Folders in your operating system. If a file is deleted in the Mylio application, it is also deleted in the folder in macOS Finder/Windows File Explorer. If a file is deleted in the folder in macOS Finder/Windows File Explorer, it is also deleted in Mylio. The action of deleting the media on one machine would then sync to all devices on the account where the media would be deleted from all machines.
Turning Safe Delete On or Off
Safe Delete can be toggled on and off per device, but not per Source Folder. Safe delete can be toggled on and off by:
- Open Mylio and select Settings from the View menu.
- Select Source Folders
- Toggle on or off the Safe Delete option.