What is Safe File System Delete?
Mylio’s Safe File System Delete is an option available in the Source Folders settings to ensure your data remains safe. By default, it is turned on when setting up Mylio for the first time. It is specific to Vault devices meaning if you
When Safe File System Delete is on, Mylio recognizes when images are added to or edited in a folder by the file system or another app outside of Mylio, but it doesn’t read or replicate deletions that happen outside of Mylio.
Here are some ways that safe delete works:
- Images deleted in the File System will not be removed from the Mylio catalog or other devices.
- If a device is set as a Vault, images deleted in the File System will be synced back from another deivce the images are available somewhere else.
- If a device is not set as a Vault (most likely using a Custom Sync Policy), images deleted in the File System will be marked in the catalog to be deleted everywhere. A warning (see screenshot below) may appear detecting filesystem changes if “Show filesystem changes” is toggled on under Settings->General. This warning can allow you to decive to apply the chagnes (delete the files everywhere) or exit the warning telling Mylio to attempt to sync back the media from a Vault.
When Safe File System Delete is off, Mylio is designed to keep a 1:1 relationship with the Source Folders in your operating system. If a file is deleted in the Mylio application, it is also deleted in the folder in macOS Finder/Windows File Explorer. If a file is deleted in the folder in macOS Finder/Windows File Explorer, it is also deleted in Mylio. The action of deleting the media on one machine would then sync to all devices on the account where the media would be deleted from all machines.
Turning Safe Delete On or Off
Safe Delete can be toggled on and off per device, but not per Source Folder. Safe delete can be toggled on and off by:
- Open Mylio and select Settings from the View menu.
- Select Source Folders
- Toggle on or off the Safe Delete on Vaults option.