The following article explains advanced Search bar behavior and assumes you have already familiarized yourself with Mylio’s basic Search functionality. If you have not yet, please read our Search bar introduction article linked here before proceeding.
Understanding Search expressions
When you enter a word into the Mylio Search bar it is considered an expression. A Mylio search expression can be formed in a few different ways:
- ( expression ) – parentheses are used for grouping combinations of expressions
- expression expression – Two expressions specified after one another implies an AND
- expression AND expression – can also be input as: && and &
- expression OR expression – can also be input as: || and |
- expression IN expression
- NOT expression – can also be input as: –
The order that you place expressions matters the precedence they are interpreted by is the 1 to 7 order as specified above.
Term-or-value expressions explained
A term-or-value expression allows you to narrow your search to a specific type. “Term” refers to the type of item you’re looking for, while “Value” refers to the specific name of the item you want to be returned.
In this example, “album” is the term and “Animals” is the value, so Mylio would display albums with the name “Animals”.
In this example, “NOT make” is the term (- is short for NOT as noted above) and “Canon” is the value, Mylio will return all photos in the library that are not taken by a Canon camera.
Special punctuation can be used to even further customize your searches. Mylio allows for 5 types of quotes in strings:
Single-word strings do not need quotes but if a string is more than one word it does need a quote. Let’s say we have a caption on a photo that is:
The “quick” brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
Here are some string searches that can be performed for the captioned image:
- caption:fox Will search the whole word “fox”. It will not match foxtrot, outfox, or outfoxed.
- caption:=’The “quick” brown fox jumps over the lazy dog’ Will search the entire caption exactly including case capitalization. Using single quotes around this string allows for the double quotes in the caption to be included.
- caption:”The quick*” Adding the * at the end of the string searches captions that start with “The quick”.
- caption:”*lazy dog” Adding the * at the start of the string searches captions that end with lazy dog.
- caption:*row* Adding ** around a word will search the letters r,o, and w in that order. This would include partial spellings, so the word “brown” would be included.
- caption:*ju?ps* Matches captions that contain a word that starts with ju and any single letter followed by ps. So jumps is a possible search result.
Explicit Search Terms
The following terms are available, and their preferred data type is listed. Please note that the chart below may not be fully visible on mobile and your device may need to be rotated to landscape to display it.
- Booleans can be entered as True/False/On/Off etc.
- Dates can be entered as MM/DD/YYYY
- The plural is also allowed for all the terms below (albums instead of album/person instead of people etc.)
|album: text||Will find text in Album names|
|author: text||Will find text in creater IPTC field|
|cameras: text||Will find text in the camera field same as searching with model:|
|caption: text||Will find text in Caption fields|
|categories: text||Will find text for assigned categories|
|color: text||Will find files with specified color labels|
|copyright: text||Will find text in copyright IPTC field|
|date: date||Will search the date field in the Info tab|
|edited: boolean||Will find edited or unedited images|
|facecount: number||Will find photos with the specified number of faces detected|
|file: text||Will find text in the filename field|
|flag: boolean||Will find flagged or unflagged photos|
|flash: boolean||Will find images with flash turned on/off in the Info tab|
|folder: text||Will find text for folder names|
|gpstagged: boolean||Will find files with/without location data|
|importdate: date||Will find dates from the Import date field|
|iso: decimal number||Will find the specified ISO from the Info tab|
|keyword: text||Will find text in the Keyword field|
|label: text||Will find text in the label field|
|lens: text||Will find text in the lens field|
|lostoriginals: boolean||Will show lost originals in the catalog|
|make: text||Will find text in the make or camera manufacturer field|
|model: text||Will find text in the camera field same as searching with camera:|
|ocr: text||This will do only an optical character recognition search|
|orphan: boolean||This will find photos in the catalog that do not have an assigned folder|
|people: text||Will search text for People's names|
|peoplecount: number||Will find photos with the specified number of people tagged|
|place: text||Will find text in the places field|
|rating: number||Will find files with the specified star rating (1-5)|
|text: text||This is to search for text in any filename/caption/title/keyword/ocr|
|title: text||Will search for text in the Title field|
|unprotected: boolean||Will find files that still need to sync to other devices|
|unsupported: boolean||Will find file that Mylio does not support|
|video: boolean||Will find only videos|